- Yellow Fever (Required to get a visa to enter Bolivia)
- Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis, Measles/Mumps/Rubella, and other routine vaccinations (make sure these are up to date)
- Hepatitus A & B (recommended)
- Typhoid (recommended)
- Rabies (Recommended if you intend to come in contact with animals. We advise against playing with animals in Bolivia.)
- One that is often suggested but is only required in the jungle regions of Bolivia (which are not part of regularly scheduled trips) is Malaria – NOT NECESSARY.
Please consult with your health care provider and see the CDC website for the most up-to-date recommendations. Please note that your insurance company may cover these shots.
All participants on Hospitals of Hope mission trips are required to purchase traveler’s insurance. Traveler’s insurance usually covers the following:
Emergency Medical Evacuation, Baggage Insurance, Disability, Some medical coverage
Medical Evacuation is necessary only when a medical emergency is urgent enough that a person needs to be flown from the region where they’re serving back to their home country for better medical care. These circumstances are extremely rare, but the cost is overwhelming without insurance. Because of this, it is a requirement for all Hospitals of Hope personnel and volunteers.
Hospitals of Hope recognizes that there are many policies available. You are not required to purchase insurance from the companies we’ve suggested here as long as proof of coverage is supplied. Please carefully read all of the information provided by the insurance company.
Missionary Travel Association
Good Neighbor Insurance
Adams & Associates International
PO Box 5845
Columbia, SC 29250-5845
Adams & Associates User Name: hospitals
Adams & Associates Password: hoh
Once you have logged in, click on the "International Volunteer Program" link. On the ensuing page, click on the "Travel Insurance Enrollment" link -- this will take you to the enrollment form. You will have the option of paying online with a credit card, or just mailing a check after submitting the enrollment.
If you choose to use one of these companies, you may submit the application directly to them, and then send proof of the coverage to the HOH office. Some school insurance companies will cover this, and your regular medical policy may cover this, so please be sure to check with your own company, too. (Note: the Medical Evacuation part of the policy is essential).
Once you’ve arranged for your travel insurance, please send us the company name and policy number of the company with which you’re insured.
If you have questions about this requirement or the policy options, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Medical Professional Liability Insurance
All Medical Professionals (not students) are required to have Medical Professional Liability Insurance while volunteering at Hospitals of Hope. This is to protect our organization and you personally from medical malpractice lawsuits.
We recommend using
International Helpers (Guernsey) Trust
c/o RIL Administrators
Maison Trinity, Trinity Square
St. Peter Port, Guernsey, GY1 4AT Channel Islands
Telephone & Fax: +44 (0)1481 740 009
Visit their website at www.internationalhelpers.co.gg . Click on the "Enroll Online" button, and enter "hospitals" as the User Name and "hoh" as the Password. Rates range from 4 - 9 dollars a day depending on your profession. If you have any questions, please feel free to call them at (800) 922-8438.
For US citizens staying in Bolivia for 90 days or fewer, we recommend getting your Bolivian visa at the airport as you enter the country. Visa requirements are listed on the Bolivian consulate website. If you are staying for longer than 90 days, please talk with the Hospitals of Hope staff to complete the proper paperwork well in advance of your departure date.
Bolivia Pre-Departure Checklist
- Passport (at least 8 weeks prior to departure)
- Flight arrangements made and paid for (at least 6 weeks prior to departure)
- Balance of funds paid to HOH (at least 4 weeks prior to departure)
- Completed required vaccinations (at least 3 weeks prior to departure)
- Sent copies of all required documents to Hospitals of Hope (at least 2 weeks prior to departure)
- Passport copy
- Travel Insurance
- Copy of immunization booklet with all required vaccinations
- Medical and Dental licensing and permits (for professionals)
- Visa requirements:
- Visa application form
- Passport-sized photo
- Invitation letter from Hospitals of Hope
- Copy of itinerary
- Bank statement or copy of front side of credit card
- Vaccination booklet showing vaccination for Yellow Fever